Creamy Mushrooms with Chorizo & Bacon
Thursday, 18 March 2010 10:23
I've put this recipe in the vegetable section as it's mainly about the mushrooms - with the meats to add punch.
One of my favourite meals out is a decadent brunch, and this dish is one of my favourite dishes - a bowl of creamy mushrooms with the underlying wow factor of chorizo sausage and richness of bacon. I am always suspicious about how much flour they have used to make the sauce though so worked out my own version....this is quite rich but very, very delicious.
- 1/2 - 1 chorizo sausage (to taste) finely sliced
- 2 rashers of bacon, chopped
- 150 gms button mushrooms, thickly sliced into 3-4 pieces max
- Butter and olive oil
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup of cream (I added 1/3 then topped up as needed)
- Heat the butter in a pan with a splash of oil to stop it burning
- Thinly slice the chorizo (if using raw chorizo sausage - as per the butchery ones - then precook)
- Sautee the chorizo until cooked and all the flavours are oozing out and flavouring the butter
- Add the bacon and cook
- Add the mushrooms and just cook lightly - this is to avoid 1. the mushrooms shrinking down too much and 2. the juices seeping out and flavouring the cream sauce (it's not supposed to be a mushroom sauce)
- Add the cream (enough to 1/2 cover the ingredients already in the pan) and cook over a low heat until it reduces and thickens (about 5-8 mins)
- Season to taste after testing as the bacon and chorizo will add a lot of flavour and can be quite salty
- Stir through a good handful of fresh chopped parsley
- Serve in a bowl with a fork and spoon for the sauce!
Recipe by LCC Cook Jo - www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz
Last Updated ( Saturday, 11 May 2013 01:52 )