- 1/4C Olive oil
- 1 large eggplant trimmed, cut lengthwise in 8 slices
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 x 400gm can diced tomatoes
- 3/4C cream
- 1/3C shredded fresh basil
- 1/2C grated parmesan
- Baby basil leaves to garnish
Thursday, 18 March 2010 19:38
I adapted this from a recipe spotted on another site and decarbed it to suit my own taste. I ADORE eggplant, and loved this to bits!
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Heat a char-grill pan over high heat.
- Brush eggplant slices with oil and salt & pepper them.
- Cook, in batches, 2 mins each side or until brown.
- In another pot saute the garlic until soft, add the tomatoes, salt & pepper and simmer for 10-15 mins. until the tomato is well broken down.
- Add cream and basil and stir through.
- Place 4 slices of eggplant in a single layer in a shallow baking dish; top with half the sauce, remaining eggplant, remaining sauce & sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake 10-20 mins or until cheese is melted & bubbly.
- Leave for 5-10 mins to set out of the oven so it slices cleanly.
- If using a 500gm egplant allow 26 carbs for the entire dish. This will make a side or entree for 4 people or mains for two with a salad.
- I have allowed 3gms carbs per 100g of tomatoes - this will vary from brand to brand though.
- Allow 2.6gms of net carbs per 100 grams of eggplant.
Recipe by LCC Cook Jo - www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz
Last Updated ( Saturday, 02 October 2010 02:20 )