Spiced Prawns (Indian)
Thursday, 23 September 2010 21:51
Sweet prawns in spices mellowed with coconut cream, these are perfect for 4 as an entree or a main for 2 with side dishes.. Best served with finger bowls!
- 500g raw or cooked prawns with tails on
- 2.5cm fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4t hot chilli powder
- 1t ground turmeric
- 2t black mustard seeds
- Crushed seeds from 4 green cardamon pods
- 4T butter or ghee
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- Salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 3T chopped fresh coriander (for garnishing)
- If the prawns are raw with shells peel them carefully first, leaving the tails on, being careful to remove the dark vein along the back and rinsing, then patting dry
- Add the ginger, garlic, chilli, turmeric, mustard seeds and cardamon seeds to a bowl with the prawns, toss well to coat (you can leave them in the spice mix for several hours if you wish to prepare beforehand).
- Heat the butter or ghee in a wok until foaming.
- Add the prawns, tossing well in the butter or ghee. If using raw cook until just turning pink, if using cooked then just long enough to cook the spices in the butter.
- Stir in the coconut cream and simmer 3-4 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with coriander.
- Serve straight away.
- 8.4 carbs for entire dish.
Recipe by LCC Cook Jo - www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz
Last Updated ( Saturday, 28 September 2013 00:17 )