The Easiest Coconut Pie Ever
Saturday, 14 August 2010 22:40
This recipe from our member Carla won the member's votes in the July 2010 recipe competiton. It couldn't be easier to make and eat, it's moist and delicious, half way between a custard and a cake! I added lime and orange zest to give it a further dimension and served it warm with vanilla cream and a little extra lime zest grated over the top. Serves 8 (if you exercise self restraint).
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 1t vanilla extract
- 2T coconut oil, melted
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated Splenda
- 1 cup finely shredded coconut or dessicated coconut (the threads give a nice texture)
- 2t each fresh lime and orange zest
- 1/2 cup almond flour (if not available use ground almonds or almond meal)
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Put all ingredients in a large bowl and blend well.
- Grease a 20cm pie dish with coconut oil or butter and pour the mixture in.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour (it's ready when going golden and puffy on top and the surface doesn't wobble when shaken).
- If it browns too quickly turn down to 150 degrees and cover top loosely with aluminium foil.
- Carbs all up are approx 16 to 18 for the whole pie if using Splenda. So if cutting into 8 pieces you eat approx. 2g of carbs per piece.
- Several people have tried this recipe with sweetener alternatives like crushed Splenda tablets and Stevia, but they haven't been quite as successful as sticking to the original granulated Splenda.
Last Updated ( Saturday, 11 May 2013 01:57 )